Thursday 30 June 2011

On the road again .. just can't wait

Cape Hatteras
July is here and half the year has gone already .. just under a year to plan my US and Canada road trip which I am really excited about.  It's something I have wanted to do for ages and since I started talking about it seems a lot of people have the same idea!!  I guess it's a bit of a romantic notion .. inspired by Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road' and films like 'Thelma and Louise'. I have had a taste of it before .. a few years ago departed from New York's Penn Station on the AmTrak to Washington and Philadelphia before meeting up with some friends and heading down the freeway to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was August, very hot but of course we had air con in the car.  We sang along to songs we knew on the radio ... I remember cruising along past small farms selling fruit and veg on the roadside .. and staying in a motel for the night.  Four of us in one large room but it was clean and it was a place to rest up.  
A couple of years prior to that I traveled with 5 friends in a VW camper van around Europe and Morocco for 3 months .. but that's a story for another time! 
Road to Las Vegas
Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions of great places to go I would appreciate the input .. nothing is set in stone yet. Searching for something a bit different. (I have done LA to Vegas and then down through Joshua Tree and Palm Springs.) I'm really looking forward to recreating the Thelma and Louise style story, minus the guns, robbery and the cowboy, well ... maybe the cowboy can come along!!  But only if he looks like Brad Pitt!!  Oh, and of course won't be hurtling over any canyons!!!!



No comments: