Friday 3 March 2023

City Break - Malaga, Spain

I'm three months late posting about my trip to Malaga in Spain - time just ran away from me towards the end of last year and another trip (up next) and work took over. I just didn't make the time to do it. Better late than never!

I jetted off in early November last year to meet up with my pal who will be permanently living there in the not too distant future. It was a good time to go as its off season and the weather is still warmer than it is in the UK. Traveling during the week instead of the weekend also guarantees less crowds too. I can imagine that its quite a different story during the summer months.
I didn't have the best start to my outbound journey as there was a train strike which meant that I couldn't rely on the two trains that may have been running to get me to the airport. I booked a parking slot and set off super early so I could get there, relax and have a leisurely breakfast before the flight. 

Things did not go to plan as the M25 ended up being gridlocked by a protester and subsequently I missed my flight. Not the end of the world thankfully and I was able to rebook a later flight a mere 8 hours later. I got to know the North Terminal at Gatwick quite well!

Instead of arriving at lunchtime, I arrived at 10pm and consequently lost half a day. The next two full days were ample to get a sense of the city and have a good look around. 

I know I will be back there often to visit my friend and explore the city and surrounding areas more. 

Malaga is so close to other towns on the Costa del Sol so its a good starting place for exploring more of the the country. Its also easy to get the train to visit other nearby cities like Seville, Valencia or Alicante.

If you love art, the Picasso Museum is a must see. Picasso was born in Malaga and the museum proudly exhibits some of the artist's incredible works. There was a long line on the first day so we went early the next day to avoid waiting. Probably the best option is to book tickets online as you can jump the queue.

Malaga is full of many things to see and do with the food mercados, local beaches, parks and rooftop bars where you can sit with a cocktail and take in the view. 

Its easy to get around and the city is great for shopping and of course eating and there are cafés and restaurants on every street serving delicious local cuisine.

It feels safe there and the people are very friendly. I definitely need to go back soon so I can put 
my limited Spanish into practice. Since visiting Seville in September, I've been learning religiously every day. 

I'll be happy if I can string a sentence together when I go.

Gracias por los recuerdos Málaga. Volveré pronto está bien.







* * * * *




No comments: