Thursday 9 August 2018

My day job at The Open Golf Championships .. Carnoustie, Scotland

My job as a make up artist took me to Scotland this year for The Open Golf Championships in Carnoustie, which is just a few miles from Dundee.

My colleague and I had an on-air studio team to look after plus giving a little help to others reporting on the course and in the Open Zone, which was an open air studio. Luckily the weather was pretty good with only one day of rain and the only issue was wind for one of our female presenters braving the outdoors. I really dislike spraying hair to within an inch of it's life and making it look like a wig or a helmet. I like a more natural look with movement in the hair, styling it away from the face. In gale force conditions however, actually creating an up-do or gripping it in place is the only option.

I have had scenarios in the past where the hair was preferred down in windy conditions and fortunately it was blowing in the right direction, keeping strands off the face.

I had some great new men's grooming products from Discovered Brands to try this year which went down really well. A lot of lines around now - and there are a multitude - are all very similar in what they can achieve and I tend to go for those that dispense well, smell good (and natural) and do the job. Attractive packaging always helps too!

My favourite was the Hans de Fuko Sponge Wax. It's a semi matte, medium hold product and perfect for our studio conditions. One of our male studio guests had let his hair grow on top and just allowed it do it's thing, falling like a side swept fringe over his forehead. I suggested a more modern look and he was happy to have me restyle it. I found the Blind Barber pomade gave a similar result and I liked the texture. Being a matte finish was also perfect for the studios and the overhead lighting.

I started by spraying a little water to dampen the hair, applied some wax warmed in my hands and used the hair dryer to create an upswept quiff which stayed in place without the need to use hairspray. He was so delighted with his updated style and it looked slick and neat on air. It's a style he could easily manage on his own.

I also loved Recipe for Men a Scandinavian skincare range for men. The Anti-shine moisturiser worked really well under my regular go-to make up for men base Gentlemans Polish. It's a fab product which can be used for full coverage or just where needed without looking like make up. It gives a natural flawless finish which for me is what it's all about. I've had many occasions where male guests have opted to go home without taking it off!

Another product I liked was Wake up Call by Anthony which did what it said on the package. It really is invigorating and revives the skin especially given the long hours we were working. Made for men and also great for us girls - I admit to trying it on myself and loving the fresh feeling! 

It was another successful week which ran smoothly and was a lot of fun despite the lack of sleep. It's always great to work with a team of highly professional people who know what they're doing.

I'm now looking forward to my next Golf project, The Ryder Cup near Paris, France at the end of September. I will definitely be taking all the products I've mentioned above with me.




No comments: