Sunday 16 June 2019

Crete Part 4 - Chrissi Island

The end of our glorious week in Crete was approaching. With just one full day left we joined an excursion to Chrissi Island. I hadn't even heard of it till relatively recently when a work colleague told me about it and suggested I go if I had the time.

Not one to miss an opportunity, we asked the travel rep at our hotel to help organise a day trip for us. We were picked up by a cab that drove us to Agio Nikolaos where we joined a coach which transported us to Ierapetra on the south coast. There we boarded a packed ferry for the one hour journey to Chrissi Island.

We had a smooth crossing as it was a fine day with not too much wind and upon arrival on the south side of the island the masses starting heading north for the 10 minute walk to the famous Golden Beach. We opted to stop at the beach bar for a cold drink and a bite to eat before going. There was a grill bar serving fresh souvlaki which was perfect with a cold beer and we stayed about half an hour before our pilgrimage to the beach. The island looks like a lost world of gnarled trees and bushes and is a protected eco system. There are a few signs which ask that you please leave nothing but your footprints.


When we got to the beach it was quite busy and almost every inch of limited shade was taken although we did find a little enclave under some trees. 

I checked out the beach and the sea which was crystal clear but the sand is quite gritty, consisting of tiny broken shells and course sand. There are many pebbles and rocks to navigate until you are able to swim. The easier part of the beach was so crowded we stayed away. I wish I had brought my aqua shoes so I suggest if you go they would be very useful. 

We stayed for a while but decided to go back to the beach near to where we arrived. It was less crowded and we were able to get loungers and umbrellas for €5 each to shield us from the baking sun.

After a few hours on the island we returned the same way we had come. Another wonderful day to remember.

Back at the hotel again, we went to the pool bar and had their gorgeous Pina Coladas for our last night at the Royal Marmin Bay. As I mentioned in my previous post, our final dinner was a return visit to the Samurai Sushi Bar. I had tempura soft shell crab with a salad - if you like seafood this is a must for you.



Day 7 arrived and we had all day free until our flight home that evening. We took full advantage of the pool, had lunch at the pool bar and of course I had to have one last Pina Colada which became my favourite of the trip. It's not usually a drink I would choose but they make the best here and it's so refreshing. A bit like a fruit smoothy!


7pm and time to leave, our transfer coach arrived and off we went. We had an interesting ride back to Heraklion and saw some beautiful places and more amazing views. But the piece de resistance was an amazing sunset as we neared the airport. A fabulous colourful farewell from the island of Crete and a holiday to remember.

It's my second visit to Crete and there's so much more to this island, it's ancient past and it's beauty. Without a doubt I'll be back again soon.


ευχαριστώ - efcharistó - thank you Crete for your generous warmth and hospitality.



No comments: