Saturday 17 December 2011

My top ten make up products this year

As we near the end of 2011 and the winter solstice in just a few days, my thoughts go forward to longer, brighter days and a brand new year .. hopefully full of happiness and good health for everyone. I know we still have the worst of the cold weather yet to come in the northern hemisphere but there's always light at the end of that tunnel!

Here are my personal top ten products that I wouldn't be without .. some I may have mentioned before but always worth a reminder .....


Smashbox Brow Tech To-Go is my absolute favorite .. Everyone I have recommended this product to is blown away by it but I have read some negative reviews about it.  Being a make up artist doing this every day, naturally I find it very easy to use.  As with everything, practice makes perfect and the best way is always to start off lightly, feathering natural strokes into the brow and building on it until you have the shape and colour depth that you want. The more you do it the easier it will become .. it's all in the technique.

M2Beauté Eyelash Activating Serum - If you want gorgeous long, lush lashes this product definitely works!  Applied every night like a liquid eyeliner at the base of the lashes it takes 4-6 weeks before you will notice a difference and at around 16 weeks they will achieve their natural growth potential.  However, if you want to keep your lashes this way, you will have to keep using this product. When used correctly it will last for about 6 months but it is not cheap at £128 for 5ml!  When you compare this to the price of eyelash extensions, this definitely is the cheaper and more natural option in the long term.

Elemis Lip Revive 7ml - This is a rich petroleum free lip balm which moisturizes and conditions your lips leaving a subtle taste of mint.  I found it particularly good whilst flying as this is when dehydration is most noticeable in lips, skin and nails.


Kiehl's Lip Balm No.1 15ml - Another favorite of mine, this helps protect lips from the drying effects of wind and cold weather with SPF 4 sunscreen.  Contains petrolatum and lanolin so if you are sensitive to either of these ingredients it's probably best avoided.


Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Fluid Make up SPF 15 - I use this foundation almost every day as I like the light to medium coverage and the natural dewy finish it gives. As my skin is a little on the dry side it's perfect for me.  If you have a slightly oilier complexion I would suggest trying the Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-light Skin Perfecting Make up.


Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow - I am a huge fan of this product.  I love the soft, long lasting powder-cream texture and can absolutely confirm it does what it promises.  It lasts, does not crease and can be applied with ease.  You can go for an ultra sheer hint of colour or build on it to give a more intense look if you prefer.


Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner - I have been using this eyeliner for a number of years both on myself and my clients. It gives the appearance of a liquid liner but the gel formula makes it easier to apply and you have a few seconds to rework it before it dries.  It can also be smudged a little (before it sets) to give a smokier look.


Benefit the POREfessional pro balm - this silky gel cream minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines. It can be used under or over make up but I use it as a primer as it gives a perfect base for make up application.  It gives the skin a youthful radiance which is something we all want!


Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation primer - I use this regularly on men and women as it gives a perfect shine free finish .. it can be worn alone or as a primer for make up base application. It has been a staple in my kit forever and I'm not surprised that it is a best seller for the Smashbox brand.

Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup for Face & Body SPF 15 - A perfect product for concealing imperfections.  It is long lasting, water resistant and a little goes a long way.  It's great for covering thread veins, blemishes and birthmarks. (I find if I mix this sparingly with a little photo finish primer, it is the perfect texture and density for concealing under eye dark circles!) This has also been a long time resident in my make up kit therefore well deserved of making it into my top ten.

There you have it!  Of course there are many other products I wouldn't want to be without, but I don't want to be here all night or bore you with too much information overload! 


Thanks for all your support and encouragement over the past few months. See you all next year for more of my flip flop travels, guest blogs and hair and make up tips!!


Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year!!

No comments: