Friday 2 March 2018

Five days in Dubai



I've recently returned from a lovely little 5 day trip to a warm Dubai to find myself in sub zero temperatures in London. What a shock to the system! I guess I could have delayed my return by a couple of days but I'm kinda glad I didn't as I would have had a nightmare journey home given that the freeze is still with us.

I picked a perfect time to go. It was great to get away from the cold to a lovely Dubai winter/spring. The day time temperatures ranged from 28-32C and the nights were cool, around 19-20C. As far as I'm concerned that's just perfect.

View of Abu Dhabi across the water
We only had one day of rain and it was noticeably cooler but turned out to be a great day to hop in the car and head just over an hour south to Abu Dhabi to visit the Louvre museum, something that I had planned to do anyway. I would love to revisit the museum again perhaps for a specific exhibit and of course when the weather is nicer, to experience all that is has to offer.

It is a stunningly beautiful piece of architecture designed by Jean Nouvel who has been responsible for designing many iconic buildings around the world. It is a tranquil place, with views of Abu Dhabi and the turquoise sea.

Here he describes the dome ..

... It is a project founded on a major symbol of Arab architecture: the dome. But here, with its evident shift from tradition, the dome is a modern proposal.

A double dome 180 meters in diameter, offering horizontal, perfectly radiating geometry, a randomly perforated woven material, providing shade punctuated by bursts of sun. The dome gleams in the Abu Dhabi sunshine. At night, this protected landscape is an oasis of light under a starry dome.

The Louvre Abu Dhabi becomes the final destination of an urban promenade, a garden on the coast, a cool haven, a shelter of light during the day and evening, its aesthetic consistent with its role as a sanctuary for the most precious works of art ...

How to get there -  https://www.louvreabudhabi.ae/en/visit/how-to-get-here

Dubai changes all the time. This was my sixth visit in 4 years and there is always something new to see. Shopping areas, restaurants, highways and even beaches - the city is ever developing and expanding.

I managed to get to see La Perle - a fantastic show exclusive to Dubai created by artistic director Franco Dragone in a purpose built theatre. It was a truly amazing experience and I would highly recommend you go and see it. My photo does not do it justice - it has to be seen to be believed.

With its one-of-a-kind theatre built in the heart of Al Habtoor City, La Perle is the region’s first resident show, featuring a cast of 65 artists, each bringing their own unique set of skills to the performance, ranging from acting, acrobats, aquatic and aerial stunts. These often gravity-defying performers will mesmerise as they dive into an on-stage pool or fly through the air, creating a visually captivating experience both below and above stage level.

Other areas I visited included -  

La Mer Beach - a destination for eating, shopping and relaxing on the beach. It is a bustling area with numerous restaurants, shops and play areas including a trampoline park so it's perfect for a family day out. A water park and a cinema are opening imminently. I had lunch at the newly opened Salt - perfect for burger sliders.

Kite Beach - a great beach for kite and wind surfing, swimming and relaxing. There are a few restaurants but nothing on the scale of La Mer and much quieter which I preferred. I had lunch on the first floor terrace at LaOla with lovely views of the sea and a fresh cool breeze which was most welcome on a hot day. I had fresh watermelon juice with poached eggs and avocado on sourdough toast - one of my faves.

One of the newer restaurants I was recommended to try was Miss Tess in the Taj Hotel. Describing itself as Asian Street food, it's a combination of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese food. Everything I tried was delicious as were the cocktails which had names like 'Lost in Hanoi' 'Penang Blossom' and 'Shaolin Temple'. You get the idea. The menus were shaped like fans which I guess could be useful on a really hot night!

It has an indoor dining area and an outdoor terrace which has been arranged to look a bit like a street. Every so often you will see acrobatic performers appear briefly to add to the atmosphere, or they will just cycle by as if it was a real thoroughfare. 

If you like Asian food you will love it there.

In a flash my visit was all over and I'm now looking forward to my next little trip in a couple of weeks.

I'm off to Palma, Majorca for a few days of hopefully some warm sunshine and a little Spanish culture. Adios amigos.





No comments: