Wednesday 19 November 2014

The hotel experience


I've stayed in a few hotels in my time and I would really love to give some of those interior designers a little kick up the backside. The way some of the rooms are 'designed' tells me that they either have not had much experience of living in the spaces or they just care more about the way it looks than it's practicality. Of course it matters that it looks good and welcoming but we have to 'live' in it for a while!

For me my ultimate expectation is cleanliness and functionality. After that there could be a few things that are available and accessible to make life a bit easier.

Bearing in mind your stay may be one night or a week or two I think all the things listed below should be considered.
  • An easily reachable power point next to the bed for phone/ipad/tablet
  • A power point on the dresser/desk for laptops, ipod dock, hairdryers, hair tools
  • A mirror above the dresser plus a full length mirror near the wardrobe
  • Good lighting over the desk
  • Enough hangers in the closet to hang dresses, jackets, trousers
  • Shelves or drawers for smaller items
  • A shelf in the bathroom to put your toiletries on - quite often there is no space and I often end up putting my bag on the floor
  • Good lighting over the mirror
  • Towel rail!
  • Hooks to hang robes/towels 
  • A window that opens when you don't want to use the air con
  • A sleep button on the remote control for the TV
  • Tea and coffee making facilities
These are just the basic requirements .. not too much to ask .. is it?

As nice as it is to see a little chocolate on the bed at night it is totally unnecessary .. it's the last thing I want before bed.

I also wonder about that message that is always left in the bathroom about reusing your towels. They bang on about the amount of towels that get washed every day being bad for the environment so I hang my towel for reuse and they always replace it .. so irritating! What's the point of the message?

At the last place I stayed at even the hand soaps were replaced daily .. what a waste!  It's only me using it so I really don't mind it being there for the duration of my stay.

A sweet treat at Star Rosa Milano
Another bugbear that I've come across recently is the fluffing up of the tissues in the bathroom! I want to use tissues that have been untouched by another human hand so please don't mess with them!

You get what you pay for but a little bit of consideration for what your customers really need
would go a long way. I guess as long as you have a comfortable bed to sleep in that's really the most important thing!

http://gogreentravelgreen.com/11-tips-and-tricks-for-greening-your-hotel-stay-25-days-to-green-travel-day-16/

The next trip for HQ is coming very soon .. swimsuit and sunglasses at the ready!!





No comments: